Uproar as UI student dies working at a factory, company negligent in releasing corpse.
It was indeed a black Tuesday night for students of the University of Ibadan when the news of a student of the institution; Gbadebo Richard, who lost his life working at a factory called Henkel Global Nigeria Limited situated at Oluyole Estate, Opposite Yale 3, Ibadan, spread like a wildfire.
Facts gathered revealed that the deceased; Richard, was on a night shift when the horrible incident happened. In accordance with what was received, it was reported that the incident happened around 6:30 am to 6:45 am; just a couple of minutes away from 7:00, when he was supposed to have been done with his night shift.
It was reported that Richard was pouring some powder in the mixing machine and in the process, his hands got stuck in and the machine eventually swallowed him.
As soon as the incident reached the students and his course mates, the UI Student’ union under the leadership of Akeju mobilised a few students who are still around to pay a consolation visit to the family of the deceased but to the surprise of many, more horrible news was let out of the dark.
On the arrival of the Students’ Union representatives, the Hall Warden of the Nnamdi Azikwe Hall, and the other students, it was revealed that none of the supervisors were at the duty post where he was stationed, his corpse was at the machine and they were not bothered but fully operational, and the management officials were reluctant in releasing the remnants of the deceased.
As gathered, all that was left of him was his legs because he was “overwhelmed” by the machine.
The inhumane treatment of the management of the factory showed its stringent conspicuous colors when there was a strong refusal from the company to release his remains for his parents to lay him to rest and what was more shocking was that the management did not deem it fit to send any delegate from the company to console the family of the deceased, at least.
The family of the deceased disclosed that it was a fierce struggle for them before the remains of the boy were eventually released and when it was, they were packed in a cement bag and handed to them after they had loose the screw of the machine he was operating before his last minute.
Gbadebo Richard was a 20-year-old 300L student of the department of European Studies at the University of Ibadan, he was the only boy his father had.
The students of the University of Ibadan are calling on the government and concern agencies to get justice for Richard and put the nonchalance of the company into check.
Tagged: Uproar as UI student dies working at a factory, company negligent in releasing corpse.
Don’t Forget to Share this Article With Others on the Available Various Platforms if You Find This Information Quite Useful.