10 Least Competitive Courses For Admission Into Nigeria Institutions.
As this year’s admission begins to approach and draw nearer, I’m very sure the question that would be on lips of most candidates is “could we please be familiar with the list of courses that are less competitive? “
There is no need for much publicity for people to know that an average Nigerian University offers at least 66 courses.
Nevertheless, it is still heartbreaking that much availability of courses doesn’t guarantee admission because everyone has his/her own eye on the “big cake”.
Most times, I use to tell my folks who always ask me for help about courses to choose for admission chances that they should always go for the course after their heart (because I don’t like discouraging people’s valor) BUT, “you must be ready for a battle” if the course after your heart is among the TOPNOTCHs.
You must probably have seen the article on JAMB Most Competitive Courses for Admissions I published earlier on, but today I’ll be providing you with the reverse; JAMB 2018 10 Least Competitive Courses For Admission Into Nigeria Institutions.
RELATED:- JAMB 2018 10 Most Competitive Courses For Admission Into Nigeria Institutions.
Well, let me not waste time mentioning the JAMB 10 Least Competitive Courses For Admission Into Nigeria Institutions.
These are the 10 Least Competitive Courses For Admission Into Nigeria Institutions.
1) CHRISTIAN RELIGIOUS STUDIES/ISLAMIC STUDIES:- This is one of the less competitive courses in Nigeria universities. As the name of the course implies, it is the study of religion and beliefs. Most ART candidates tend to find themselves in this course when they don’t meet up with the cut off Mark of their chosen course.
Nevertheless, it is actually an interesting course. In my 100 and 200 Level, I borrowed courses from both Islamic studies and RES. They have nice courses which include study of other religions too. If you have the gut, you might go for it, but if you don’t, KEEP off,,, just a friendly advice.
2) LINGUISTICS & LANGUAGES:- Gradually, this field is beginning to get more recognition from people (aspirants). Tho, I’ll still put it on the list of least competitive courses because the statistics of people applying for the course is not much like others.
Many do confuse linguistics with language. They are both different but related fields. Linguistics is the study of language in general (morphology, syntax, phonetics, phonology, pragmatics, e.t.c) while the other is the study of a particular language or languages.
Someone who studies linguistics is called a linguist while someone who learns to speak many languages is called a Polyglot. In case you dont know, the two courses pose a lot of potentials.
3) MATHEMATICS:- You would definitely agree with me that this course is one hell of a kind. Many do run away from it because of how it has always been presented to be difficult.
Over the years, it has always received lesser number of applicants. Only the book gurus do apply for it.
The cut off is usually very low, always around 50-55 and this has made it very admission friendly.
4) HISTORY:- Most people consider studying history less prestigious and a total waste of time. Well, history is a very nice and unique course. If you’re very good, you’ll be sought after by local and foreign institutions.
Nowadays, I realise that some candidates now even choose history so as to guarantee their admission and afterwards, they find their way on how to cross to other department of their choice, maybe LAW or MASS COM.
WELL, I’m not advising you to do so o. It’s always risky BUT, History as a course itself is not a bad choice. Just be prepared to fill your head with dates & events.
5) AGRICULTURE:- Do you know Agriculture is a very popular course? In fact, it is always one of the biggest faculties in virtually all schools offering it.
Despite the potentials of this course, most people don’t usually choose it. 80% of people you’ll find in the department are those who didn’t meet up with the initial course they applied for.
But, in some schools, Agriculture can be very competitive. This means it’s competitive advantage depends on the school nature.
6) ZOOLOGY: This is the study of animals. Many do lose interest in this course because they believe the only place you can work is just the zoo. Well, you can work in other places too, take up your phone and do more research about it.
WAIT, Goodluck Jonathan, former President of Nigeria, he read Zoology and he still became this nation’s President right? So, never say never my brother.
7) FISHING AND MARITIME: Who really wants to be a fisherman? Except those who have passion for fishes and fishing. It has great potentials tho, especially in the abroad, but the recognition in Nigeria is always low.
I even know a female friend of mine who accepted the course in 2016 with the hope she would cross to another department in the Second Year. She’s allergic to fish but she’s tired of staying at home.
In the long run, she got stucked and couldn’t transfer to another department. She had no choice than to take another JAMB.
8) GEOLOGY: It’s a very nice course with little attention from candidates. But recently, it’s becoming attractive and gaining ground little by little. Geology is the study of rocks. It also involves mining and extraction.
With a degree in this course, you can work alongside Petroleum Engineers.
9) Classical Studies:- This involves study of ancient languages and cultures. You would be taught how to speak Latin and Greek language. Also, you would be fully equipped with the ancient lives of Greeks and gods, Zeus, Athena, and the rest.
10) BOTANY:- Yeah, Botany! I’ve heard a lot of my science friends saying that they would rather stay at home than to study botany. Why? I don’t know o, do your research and, I guess this makes it one of the least most competitive courses.
Whoops!!! The article is exhausting right? Ikr.. And that’s the list of courses that are Least Competitive For those hoping to gain Admission Into Nigeria Institutions with ease.
DON’T FORGET TO SEE THIS ALSO :- JAMB 10 Most Competitive Courses For Admission Into Nigeria Institutions.
Hey there 👋. Before you leave, we feel you might like to check out some of these articles;
- JAMB Score Upgrade: Is it Truly Possible? All You Need to Know About it
- 7 Most Demanding Courses To Study In Nigerian Universities.
- 10 Sure Tips To Prepare For JAMB And Score Very High
- 6 Tips to Help you During your UTME Examination and Important Things you Must Note!
- Beware! These 5 Reasons May Hinder You From Gaining Admission This Year
- Complete List of Universities that Accept 180 in JAMB.
- List Of Universities That Accept 160 In JAMB
- List of Nigerian Universities that Only Accept Only Accept First Choice Candidates.
- List Of Nigerian State & Federal Universities That Accept Second Choice Candidates
- Schools that Accept Two Sittings at O’level; Combination of Results.
- Schools that don’t Accept Two Sittings for O’level Combination.
- JAMB 10 Most Competitive Courses For Admission into Nigeria Institutions
- JAMB 10 Least Competitive Courses For Admission
- List of Universities & Courses That Accept Pass In Mathematics
- Universities That Accept Pass (D7/E8) In English Language For Some Courses.
- JAMB Correct Subject Combination For All Science Courses
- Complete List of Art Courses You Can Study Without Literature in English in JAMB or WAEC.
- List of Courses You Can Study Without Physics in JAMB or Pass (D7, E8) in WAEC.
- List of Courses You Can Study Without Chemistry in JAMB or Pass (D7, E8) in WAEC.
- Complete List of Art Courses You can Study in Nigeria.
- Complete List of Commercial Courses You can Study in Nigeria.
- Complete List of Science Courses You can Study in Nigeria.
- Complete List of Engineering Courses You can Study as a Science Student in Nigeria.
- Updated List of NUC Approved Universities in Nigeria [Private, State & Federal]
- Complete List of Private, State & Federal Universities that Offer Law in Nigeria & the Top Universities to Study Law.
- Complete List of Private, State & Federal Universities that Offer Medicine & Surgery in Nigeria & the Top Universities to Study Medicine & Surgery.
- Informative:- 10 Jobs You Can Do With a B.sc in Chemistry/Prospects of Being a Chemist
- JAMB Change of Course & Institution | How to Apply
- 5 Pros & Cons of Taking Change Of Course/Institution
- Easy Steps to Reprint Your JAMB Exam Slip.
If you think we are biased with the list and a particular course should be or should not be on the list, feel free to drop it on the comment box below ? ? ?
And, don’t forget to share this post with your fellow aspirants who may need this info.
I would be looking forward to the comments and questions too…
Stay tuned with us on our FACEBOOK PAGE or you may follow me on twitter @tayoluyis to get more news and updates on JAMB & Post UTME.